NEW geologic maps February 2021
Geologic mapping is a priority for the AZGS; as Director Phil Pearthree noted in the Winter 2020-2021 newsletter. We just finalized and released seven (7) 1:24,000 digital geologic maps - URL links below. Two previously published 1:24k maps for quadrangles south of Tucson were re-released with new digital databases. Each map includes:
• PDF sheet(s)
• Report (when available)
• Google Earth – KMZ (for viewing on Google Earth)
• Simplified version of geodatabase
• Open-Source version of GISdata
• GeMS v1.1 Geodatabase (GeMS – US Geological Survey Geologic Map Schema)
In selecting quadrangles for geologic mapping, we rely heavily on our State Mapping Advisory Committee (SMAC), which meets annually, to shape our long-term mapping strategy and prioritize mapping area. Private- and public-sector members bring expertise in rock products, metallic minerals, hydrogeology, environmental geology, and geologic hazards and greatly assist in prioritizing mapping targets.
1. Geologic Map of the Trigo Pass 7.5' Quadrangle, La Paz County, Arizona by CA Ferguson & PA Pearthree
2. Geologic map of the Cunningham Mountain Quadrangle, La Paz County, Arizona by B Johnson and others, includes a report.
3. Geologic map of the Flores 7 1⁄2' Quadrangle, Yavapai County, Arizona by JP Cook & BF Gootee.
4. Geologic Map of the Wickenburg 7.5' Quadrangle, Maricopa and Yavapai County, Arizona by Gootee and 4 others.
5. Geologic map of the Vulture Peak 7.5' Quadrangle, Maricopa County, Arizona by JP Cook and others.
6. Geologic map of Sam Powell Peak 7.5' Quadrangle, Yavapai County, Arizona by BF Gootee and 3 others.
7. Geologic Map of northwestern Flagstaff area, Coconino County, Arizona by A Youberg and JY Ben-Horin.
Published in 2019 and now re-released with databases and KMZ
8. Geologic Map of Green Valley 7.5' Quadrangle, Pima County, Arizona by PA Pearthree.
9. Geologic Map of Sahuarita 7.5' Quadrangle, Pima County, Arizona by PA Pearthree
Co-authors not directly affiliated with the AZGS: Steven J. Reynolds, Michael J. Grubensky, James A. Stimac and Holly M. Brown.
Funding. Funding for fieldwork and digital map production stems from the USGS National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program (NCGMP) under STATEMAP program. NCGMP funds are matched dollar-for-dollar by the AZGS.