- Arizona Geological Society 2021 presentation series began on 14 Jan. with Jan Rasmussen and Stan Keith of MagmaChem.Org discussing their “Magma Metal Series”.
- USGS, AZGS, & UArizona Geosciences collaborate on post-wildfire debris flow research in the southwestAZGS has partnered with UArizona Geosciences and the US Geological Survey on understanding post-wildfire debris-flows in the southwestern U.S.
- AZGS joins the Carbon Utilization and Storage Partnership (CUSP) to characterize, catalog, analyze and rank carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) options for Arizona.
Wretched as 2020 has been, and continues to be, the holiday season has arrived. For those looking for a gift with geologic overtones, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite geologic books, field trips guides, and maps that are in-print or free as digital downloads.
Best wishes finding precisely what you need.
- On 13 Oct. 2020 at 9:16 a.m. (MST / PDT) , a shallow magnitude 3.3 earthquake rattled Walnut Canyon about 8 miles east of Flagstaff, Arizona (population ~ 74,000).
- AZGS releases digital drill core data from the Courtland-Gleeson area, Turquoise mining district, southeastern ArizonaCourtland-Gleeson area with 113 drill holes representing 25,935 m (85,087 feet or 16.1 miles) including lithology, mineralization, alteration, structure, and assay data.
- Geologic maps are invaluable tools for geoscientists in their pursuit of mineral resources, hazard mitigation strategies, and meet the societal needs of a growing population.
- John V. Bezy's latest contribution to the AZGS DTE series: ‘Island Mountains of Southeastern Arizona: Geology, Vegetation & Wildlife’.
- The Arizona Geological Survey (AZGS) released digital data packages (Table 1) for 22 extant Digital Geologic Maps (Table 2) in August 2020.
- A groundswell of interest in the U.S. regarding ‘Geoheritage’, America’s natural geologic legacy showcased in America Geoheritage II - webinar series fall 2020.
- Reconnaissance study of mylonitic fabrics in the Bellota Ranch area, eastern Santa Catalina Mountains, Arizona, just released and downloadable.