- The raw results of spring's AZGS economic impact survey are now in. We are pulling together the survey data, interviews, and web analytics to complete the picture. Stay tuned.
Donald J. Applebee Jr., geologist and former President of the Arizona Geological Society passed away suddenly on 27 May 2019. Don was a long-time geologist for ASARCO. He was born on 15 Feb. 1958 in Erie, PA, where he grew up. Don was a well known and well respected member of the southern Arizona mining community.
Do you recall the Schultz Fire of 2010 that ravaged the southeast flank of San Francisco Mountain? The team at NAU’s Ecological Restoration Institute published a 44-p. report detailing the economic impact of this modest-size fire. The ecological and human impact of the fire lingers on.
At 10:01 a.m. on 27 April 2019, Duncan, Arizona and environs were rocked by an ML 3.6 earthquake. AZGS Research Geoscientist J.Y. Ben-Horin filed this preliminary report.
In March 2019, President Donald Trump signed a public lands bill creating the Santa Cruz Valley National Heritage area encompassing parts of Santa Cruz and Pima Counties. This followed more than a decade of effort on the part of U.S.
- AZGS' digital geologic map product suite will now include multiple digital formats - geodatabase, geojson, KMZ and shapefiles - to meet the needs of Arizona geoscientists.
- ‘Touring Geoheritage Sites of Flagstaff & Environs’ StoryMap highlights 30 of the most prominent geologic, archaeologic, and cultural features near Flagstaff, Arizona.
- The US Geological Survey just released their 2018 report on U.S and global mineral commodities. Arizona is No# 1 in copper production in the U.S.
- New insights into the hydrogeologic conditions of the eastern Higley and northern Picacho Basins, Florence, AZAZGS compiled and analyzed physical, geophysical and geologic data for Higley and northern Picacho basins near Florence, Arizona, to evaluate hydrogeologic conditions and boundaries related to groundwater potential.