- AZGS contributed nearly $32 million to Arizona’s economy over the past year – a 34-fold return on the survey’s FY-2018 state allocation of $941,000.
- Sarah (Andrews) Brown, petroleum geologist and author of the Em Hansen mystery series, passed away in a private plane crash along with her husband, Damon, and their son Duncan on 24 July 2019.
In FY 2019, there were 380 active, full-time mines or development projects in the state of Arizona (Richardson and others, 2019). The new Directory of Active Mines in Arizona: FY 2019, a joint product of the Arizona Mine Inspector’s Office and the Arizona Geological Survey, characterizes those active mines.
- The Grand Canyon Panorama Project is a collection of hundreds of interconnected 360° panoramas of Grand Canyon National Park. The project was created by me 20 years ago.
- "This geology and trail guide is for anyone who likes to walk, be outdoors, and is interested in the geology in and around Flagstaff.” Richard Holm
- The raw results of spring's AZGS economic impact survey are now in. We are pulling together the survey data, interviews, and web analytics to complete the picture. Stay tuned.
Do you recall the Schultz Fire of 2010 that ravaged the southeast flank of San Francisco Mountain? The team at NAU’s Ecological Restoration Institute published a 44-p. report detailing the economic impact of this modest-size fire. The ecological and human impact of the fire lingers on.